alpine walking holidays
|Maison Caramel offers easy access to lots of excellent alpine walks passing right by the house. Located on the GR5 long distance path, we welcome walkers and understand their needs.|
With our alpine walking holiday packages for groups and individuals, you can use the house as a base for a single centre walking holiday following a different circular route each day, or take one of our self-guided point to point / B&B to B&B walking breaks of 3, 5 or 7 nights going from one charming alpine B&B to another. We can also provide you with a personal guide each day if required.
Single centre walking holidays
Choose either Maison Caramel or La Ferme Blanche as your base for your stay. You take a different circular walk each day after a leisurely breakfast, self-guiding using our carefully researched walking notes and local maps. We have a selection of routes available to suit different walking levels from grades one to four (see grading below). For some of the walks, short return transfers may be necessary (we provide these as part of the package).
There are lots of beautiful walks to choose from – whether following old cart tracks through alpine meadows and picturesque farming villages, exploring the rugged peaks of the Vanoise National Park, or taking a scenic ramble to a mountain lake. We provide walking notes, maps and a picnic lunch.
In the afternoons, come back and relax in our sunny garden, take a sauna, or snuggle up with a book in front of the wood burner in the library. Every night, tuck into a delicious three course meal and sample some of the local delicacies.
Prices start from 250€pp for 3 nights, to 550€pp for 7 nights in Maison Caramel, based on a minimum of two people sharing a room. The price includes breakfast, picnic lunch, accommodation and a three course evening meal with wine each evening*. We can provide airport and train station transfers (see below).
Tailored walking holidays
We’re happy to tailor the length of holiday and type of walking to suit your needs, either with or without a guide. We can also provide special walking holiday packages and discounts for groups.
Airport and train station transfers
We offer free transfers from the train stations in Aime, Landry and Bourg St Maurice (all served by local trains from Lyon, Chambery and Grenoble, and the TGV from Paris). Airport transfers are available from 75€ return. See find us for more travel information.
- Grade 1: Easy walking on good surfaces with only a few ascents or descents, walks generally last only a few hours
- Grade 2: Generally easy walking on good surfaces with some ascents and descents, and longer days up to 5 or 6 hours
- Grade 3: Moderate walking, largely on good surfaces, some long days and steep ascents or descents
- Grade 4: Mountain walking, so more ascents/descents. Days can often be as long as 6 or 8 hours
- Grade 5: High mountains and long days with steep ascents and descents. Mountain experience and compass skills necessary
* Guests staying 7 nights or more need to eat out on the staff night off (this is at your own expense).